You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ category.
I’ve started out my dream of a year of stitching and stitching posts by updating my Flickr albums with as many photos as I can find missing. There all rather short on details and/or descriptions, but it’s all about the pictures anyway, right?
I’ve also updated the links in the sidebar to reflect the new albums and add in some old ones.
Actual posts for my 2015 (and one 2014) finishes will hopefully show up before too long.
New album for current project: Animal Tree
Like a number of other stitchers, last year I started keeping my thread tails (aka orts) in a jar to see what I ended up with at the end of the year. I’m about to throw them out so I can start over for 2015, so here’s my filled jar.
It’s actually very pretty. All the nice blues at the bottom are from the border of Illuminated Medieval Sampler, while I suspect the reds and oranges in the middle are from the March block of the 2014 Fantasy Calendar. I’ll be interested to see what colours I end up with in a year.
It’s January and that’s when I (and I’m sure many others as well) look back at the blogs I’ve neglected of the last year and vow to do better. This, obviously, is one of them.
I’ve learned that hard way that hard and fast goals don’t work for me, but having a general plan I’m allowed to change is a better idea.
We’re moving house from Auckland to Wellington in about 10 days, so one of the things I’ve had to do recently is go through and sort and tidy my stash. I got rid of a lot of charts I’ll never stitch (and kept a good number of others I’ll probably also never stitch) and looked through all my projects and made decisions about what I really wanted to try to finish.
I found that I had 12 stitching projects that fall into that category and one quilt I’m hand sewing. So that’s 13 WIPs I’d like to make some progress on in 2015.
I also have two focus projects, but they are both gifts, so I won’t be naming them or sharing any photos here until they have been given to their intended recipients.
I’m going to try a 10 hour rotation where I work 10 hours on my focus project, then randomly pick one of the others for 10 hours. Back to the focus project (and when I finish one, I start the next), then another random pick etc. Will it work out? I have no idea. But I’m going to give it a try.
Those 13 WIPs are (in alphabetical order and with the most recent photo I can find – headings link to the Flickr album for the project):
The Dragon Trainer – Character Creations
Too Many Books, Too Little Time – Heaven and Earth Designs
Will I stick to this? I have no idea. But I’m having fun planning things out, so I guess that is a good thing in itself.
6 March 2014
Because I never do things the easy way, I decided to do a pieced border from the left over fabrics. Everything in the border has been used in at least one block.
The colours are a bit off (see the previous picture of the blocks and sashing for something closer) but I was taking the picture on my own and had to dot he best I could. I’ll try to take a better one outside when I have someone to help me.
(I also tried to fix the perspective skew in Photoshop, so this is more of an idea than an exact photo.)
My plan is to get more of the fabric I used for the sashing for my backing and use some kind of polyester batting. I want this to be a picnic blanket, so it needs to be able to be washed easily.
I’ll be doing some kind of all over quilting, but I haven’t decided exactly what yet. It needs to get a little cooler here before I go back to quilting and I have to finish Marcus’ Kiwiana Quilt before I quilt this one, so it’ll be a while before I get it completely finished.
3 October 2013
Okay, so I really should have been taking it easy and getting ready to go on holiday tomorrow, not madly sewing the 4th Doctor’s scarf. But I’m up to date now, so I can go away knowing there’s nothing hanging over me when I get back.
I tried to match the colours as best as I could, although I’m still not sure how close I got.
If anyone is interested, the background fabric says "Millennium". I bought a metre of the fabric in 2000, planning to use it that year and I never did. It’s been sitting in my fabric stash ever since. So when I started this quilt, I decided this was the time to use it. It seemed appropriate for the Doctor.
3 October 2013
I was all set to make a red dalek, when my son requested a white one, since the white is the Dalek Supreme and you’ve got to have the boss.
Getting four suitable shades of white proved to be a challenge, but my not-so-near quilt shop came through and I ended up with what I needed. I also found the very cool red and yellow background at the same time.
Sadly, at that point I was stupid and washed the white with the red (I can only say I was tired and not thinking). Guess what happened? Two of my white fabrics now had splotches of pink on them. I had to swap out one for something I already had and managed to cut around the pink for the other. So finally, we ended up with a white dalek. But it was a bit of a challenge along the way.
20 September 2013
Marcus, being a 9 year old boy, has the bad habit of growing. His weighted blanket is now too short and he asked me to make it longer. This proved to be a lot easier said than done, but I’ve got it finished now.
I almost killed my poor old and loyal sewing machine in the process. I think sewing the two sections together pushed it to, and probably a bit beyond, it’s natural limits. I broke three or four needles and instead of the single unbroken length of zig-zag I was imagining, it’s lots of short lengths of stitching before the thread broke or the machine locked up or the needle broke. I’ll have to sit down between now and bedtime and tie of the many thread ends.
But it is done and my faithful machine has survived. I guess bedtime tonight will be the big test.