You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘tent stitch’ tag.
I’m very rather pleased with myself (if very tired) as I finished the first three pages (which is also the first horizontal strip) of QS Garnet today.
I had noticed as I was working on it that the tent stitch seemed to be pulling the fabric a bit out of square, which was worrying me. About the same time I was going to do and ask about it on the Heaven and Earth Designs bulletin board, someone asked about tent stitch on one of the HAED Facebook groups. I followed a helpful link someone responded with, where I learned that doing a continental tent stitch as I do, does indeed have that issue. So for the pink flowers on the right, I switched to using a straight half cross stitch. It’s too soon if it has made a difference, but it is just as easy to stitch and looks just as good from the front.
I have a whole collection of photos (I’ve been taking one at the end of each days stitching as a way of keeping track of progress) that I won’t bore you with. I’m trying to figure out if I can set up a gallery of them all here on WordPress, or if I need to use my Flickr account.
After finishing page 1 of Garnet, I found I was struggling to keep stitching. I was rather afraid that I would stall out again, so I forced myself to stitch a couple more days without much success. So I faced reality and took a break. Today, I picked her up again and had a good day stitching with a lot achieved. Obviously, when I need to stop, I just need to stop until I’m ready to start again.
I’m having so much fun stitching this. I can’t do it every day, but I find I’m making good progress when I can and I’m loving it. I haven’t had this much fun stitching in a very long time.
So here are lots more pictures.
I totally blame Chele for this one. She posted on one of the HAED Facebook groups that she was going to try doing a design in tent stitch, 2 over 1 on 28-count lugana.
I love my Heaven and Earth Designs projects, but they are so big and I stitch so little, that the idea of a stitching method that might be faster and easier was very tempting. I didn’t want to mess with either of my big projects (Defender of the Kingdom and Dawn Star), so I decided to give it a go on my Quick Stitch of Garnet by Meredith Dillman. I’ve done very little on that, much as I love it, and I knew I wasn’t going to be going back to it any time soon.
I didn’t have any 28-ct evenweave, so first I tried a few tent stitches on my 25-ct project and I agreed with Chele that the coverage wasn’t good enough. So I went and bought a piece of 28-ct.
And, oh boy, this really is a whole lot easier, and I can do it much more quickly too. I’ve totally abandoned the original project and I’m zooming along (health permitting as always) with the new version. I’m even wondering if I should restart both my big projects this way. I’ve done quite a lot of them on both, but I have way more to do than I’ve completed. In the long run, it might be more beneficial to restart. But then again… I’m not going to make any decisions about that until QS Garnet is finished.